Once you've decided to upgrade to Windows Vista® , you may want to reference this information throughout the installation process.
In addition, make sure you have your Windows XP installation CD available in case the installaction process is not successful. You may need to uninstall Windows Vista® and you'll need this CD to restore your system along with your backup data method.
Here are several steps on how to re-install Windows XP:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD/DVD drive. Power on the computer.
2. Setup will start copying files, which depending on your system can take a while.
3. Next you will get the option to Repair or enter Setup. Choose to enter Setup.
4. Setup will scan for previous Windows installations.
5. After several confirmation screens and you choose the location of your installation, Setup will show a progress box and reboot
when copying files is complete.
6. From this point, you will follow the on screen prompts.
7. Logon to XP and apply Service Pack and Critical updates from Windows Update before installing any software or hardware.
8. Install your anti-virus software.
9. Install all other applications.